G.S.R. 342(E). – In exercise of the powers conferred by section 30A of the Consumer Protection Act, 1986 (68 of 1986), the National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission with the previous approval of the Central Government, hereby makes the following regulations, namely:-
1. Short title and commencement.-(1 ) These regulations may be called the Consumer Protection Regulations, 2005.
(2) They shall come into force on the date of their publication in the Official Gazette.
2. Definitions.- In these regulations unless the context otherwise requires,-
(a) “Act” means the Consumer Protection Act, 1986 (68 of 1986);
(b) “Consumer Forum” means a District Forum. a Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission established in a State under clause (b) of section 9 (hereafter called the State Commission) or the National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission;
(c) “Registrar” means the head of the ministerial establishment of the Consumer Forum and exercising such powers and functions as are conferred upon him by the President of the Consumer Forum:
(d) “rules” means the rules made under the Act;
(e) “section” means a section of the Act:
(f) words and expressions used in these regulations and not defined herein but defined either in the Act or in the rules shall have the same meaning respectively assigned to them either in the Act or in the rules, as the case may be.
3. Arrangements in Consumer Forum,–(1 ) A Consumer Forum, being not a regular court, shall have the arrangements as to depict it distinct from a court.
(2) In the hall in which the Consumer Forum shall hear the parties, the dais may not be kept more than 30c.m. in height than the place earmarked for the parties to occupy.
(3) At the daisof the hall, the President and the members of the Consumer Forum shall use the same type of chairs at the same level and these chairs need not have high backs.
4. Dress code.-(1 ) The President and members of every Consumer Forum while presiding over the Benches,-
(a) shall wear simple and sober dress;
(b) shall not wear-
(i) flashy dress or dress display any affluence;
(ii) Jeans or T-shirts.
(iii) as if they are holding Courts as Judges of a High Court or a District Court.
(2) The advocates shall be allowed to appear in the usual dress as prescribed by the High
Court but without the gown.
5. Hearing hours.-Subject to the provisions of the rules, the normal working hours of the Consumer Forum for hearing matters shall be from 10.30 am to 1.00 p.m and 2.00 p.m to 4.00 p.m on all working days of the Central Government in the case of the National Commission and on all working days of the State Government in the case of the State Commission and the District Forum
6. Cause List.-(1 ) Cause list of the Consumer forum for the following entire week shall be made ready before the close of the working hours of the preceding week and displayed on the notice board. The cause list in respect of a Consumer Forum having a website shall also be hosted on the website.
(2) Cause list shall be split into three different parts, namely:-
(i) Admission and after notice matters;
(ii) Matters where evidence is to be recorded;
(iii) Final disposal matters.
(3) Every cause list shall contain the following particulars, namely:-